Pedestrian Accidents and Injuries
A pedestrian accident is a car accident that involves a pedestrian or cyclist who has been struck by a vehicle. Pedestrian accidents are more common in urban and suburban areas, where there are many cars and pedestrians.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents, in most cases, follow typical patterns. Although many things can cause an accident, these are the most common.
- Careless drivers
- Inattentive pedestrians who do not look before they step off the curb or cross the street, and sometimes into the road in front of an oncoming vehicle
- Negligence on behalf of the injured pedestrian, such as jaywalking across a busy intersection before looking both ways to ensure no vehicles are coming or being drunk while walking home from a bar
- Poorly maintained sidewalks, such as holes or cracks that cause people to trip when they get near them
- Poor lighting in urban areas causes drivers not to see pedestrians in time
- Distracted drivers that are texting or otherwise using taking their attention from the road.
Common Types of Injuries a Pedestrian Sustains
When a person is hit by a car, they are subject to several injuries, ranging from bruising to more severe issues.
- Head trauma
- Broken bones
- Loss of consciousness
- Brain injury or concussion
Because you never know what types of injuries you’ve sustained until after you’ve been to the hospital, it’s always wise to consult with a Brooklyn pedestrian accident injury attorney.
Pedestrian Responsibilities in New York
Pedestrians in New York City have to follow laws about how to use the sidewalk. When a pedestrian is crossing the street at an intersection, they must follow the directions of a walk signal. In all cases, they must never cross the road diagonally.
Drivers’ Responsibilities in New York
The driver’s responsibility is always to be aware of the pedestrian. If you can’t see the pedestrian, your speed should be reduced so that you can stop within the timeframe of seeing them. The driver should also always stay alert.
Compensation According to Personal Injury Attorney in Brooklyn NY
If someone is injured as a pedestrian in an accident, various types of compensation can be received.
- Medical bills and lost wages
- Emotional damage caused by the accident
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages for negligence on behalf of the negligent driver
When a person is hit by a car, it’s the driver’s fault in most cases. They can be held liable for these injuries according to the law.
How Levitsky Law Firm Can Help You
As Brooklyn pedestrian accident lawyers, we specialize in working with pedestrians regularly. A Brooklyn pedestrian accident attorney can help you determine whether there is a clear case of fault before your insurance company does. Only a personal injury lawyer can help you recover and receive fair compensation from the insurance company.