Uncontested Divorce: Do I Qualify?
Uncontested divorce can be a less stressful, quicker, and more cost-effective option for couples who agree on all aspects of their divorce. However, not everyone qualifies for this type of divorce. In this blog, we will discuss the requirements for an uncontested divorce in NY and how the experienced Brooklyn divorce lawyers at Levitsky Law Firm can help you navigate the process.
Qualifying for an Uncontested Divorce
To qualify for an uncontested divorce in New York, you and your spouse must meet the following criteria:
- Grounds for Divorce: You must have legally acceptable grounds for divorce, such as irretrievable breakdown of the marriage, abandonment, or adultery.
- Residency Requirements: At least one spouse must have lived in New York continuously for at least two years before filing for divorce or meet other residency requirements set by the state.
- Agreement on All Issues: You and your spouse must agree on all divorce-related matters, including property division, child custody, child support, and spousal support.
- Signed Settlement Agreement: Both parties must sign a written agreement outlining the terms of the divorce.
If you meet these requirements, you may be eligible for an uncontested divorce. A Brighton Beach divorce lawyer can help you determine if you qualify and guide you through the process.
Benefits of Uncontested Divorce
An uncontested divorce offers several advantages over a contested divorce, including:
- Faster Resolution: Since there is no need for a trial, uncontested divorces can be finalized more quickly.
- Lower Costs: Uncontested divorces are generally less expensive due to reduced legal fees and court costs.
- Less Stress: Without the need for contentious court battles, uncontested divorces can be less emotionally draining for both parties.
If you believe you qualify for an uncontested divorce in NY, it is essential to consult with an experienced Brooklyn divorce lawyer. The team at Levitsky Law Firm can provide the guidance and support you need to ensure a smooth and efficient divorce process. Contact Levitsky Law Firm today for a consultation and let us help you navigate the path toward a brighter future.