If I Trip and Fall on a Public Sidewalk, Who do I Sue?

May 21, 2021

If you trip and fall on a public sidewalk, the city is liable. The important thing in trip and fall cases on a public sidewalk is to be able to prove that the accident took place, not because of a pedestrian’s carelessness due to a malfunction of public services. This means that there was a causal link between the injuries that occurred as a result of the fall and the deficient sidewalk maintenance or lack of signage. In this case, the city may not have dedicated a specific budget to dedicate the necessary resources of maintaining the streets and has left damage not repaired. It is that time you seek help from a Personal injury lawyer Brooklyn NY.

The Deadline

It is important to bear in mind that the deadline for claiming compensation for falls on public roads is only one year after the accident occurs or its harmful effect manifests itself. That is when the medical discharge is obtained and the consequences are determined. This period can be interrupted by notifying the city of the intention to claim compensation for the accident suffered. In this way, the period of one year would be interrupted, and it would be counted from the time of the notification. The sooner you see a personal injury Brooklyn, the better your case.

How a Lawyer Can Help

Don’t wait too long after the accident to report the matter to a lawyer. You will receive advice on

the measures to take after the fall. A lawyer will tell you to take photographs of the place where the accident occurred to prove the condition of the soil. The lawyer will draw up a legal document that includes the photographs and your testimony of what happened. The lawyer will advise you to go see a medical doctor for a written assessment of your injuries and bodily harm.

With all this documentation, in addition to the medical reports from the doctor and the police report that was opened on the day of the accident, a lawyer will file a claim with the city in which the accident occurred, expecting to receive compensation for the injuries suffered as a result of the mishandling of the operation of public services. Consult with an accident lawyer in Brooklyn such as Levitsky Law Firm to discuss the specifics of your case.